Friday, November 15, 2013

Pumpkin Pie

I was never a huge pumpkin pie lover, but I am supposed to bring a healthy dessert for Thanksgiving and I wanted to have a traditional dessert that I could eat too. Last night I made a pumpkin pie and it was AMAZING! My kids and husband inhaled the pie, so I'm guessing that they liked it too.


Isn't it pretty? I loved the whole pumpkiny, cinnamony deliciousiness of the whole thing. And yes those should be real words. If you make some, I will come over and help you eat it. :)

Pumpkin Pie

For the Crust:

1 1/2 cup almond flour
3/4 cup pecans
1 Tbs. coconut oil
2 Tbs. honey
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

Put the pecans in a food processor and process until they turn into a coarse flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the dough forms. Press the dough into a pie plate and up the sides. Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then place in your freezer for 20 minutes.

For the Filling:

1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup almond milk
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup honey

Whisk ingredients together. Pour the filling into a frozen pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You can put aluminum foil on the edges to help the crust not to burn. Turn the oven off and let the pie cool for 30 minutes with the door cracked. This will help it not to crack. Refrigerate until chilled then serve with some delicious Hippie Mama whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really good pie. If I liked pumpkin, I'd try it. I might try the crust with some other recipes though.

    ReplyDelete