Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Awesome Club

I am incredibly creative at making up super cool names for things like, "The Awesome Club". That name just oozes awesomeness. :)

I wanted the monkeys to read more classic literature, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I do read to them, but there are only so many hours in the day and I need them to be reading this stuff on their own.

So, I wrote a bunch of classics down on a piece of paper, stuck it on the wall, and told them if they read 7-10 of these books they may join, "The Awesome Club". And surprisingly, it worked!



Once the child has completed a book they put their initial by the book. Some of these books we just had lying around the house, but did you know you can get a lot of the classics FREE on Kindle? I am all about free stuff.

Some of the books we have:

Gulliver's Travels
The Prince and the Pauper
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Around the World in 80 Days
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
A Tale of Two Cities
King Arthur
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Chronicles of Narnia
The Little Prince
Moby Dick (or Moby Richard as my seven year old calls it)
The Secret Garden

If you'll notice there are a lot of Es next to the books. My oldest son Ethan is a HUGE reader!! It is really great to try to have the other kids keep up with him. It would be great if I could keep up with him.

Originally I was doing this just for my kids, but I have decided that I would like to join "The Awesome Club" too, so I am going to start reading these as well. 

So start today and maybe I will let you join our club too!!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Gotta love the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a list of 100 books that circulated Facebook for a while. Most of them were classics or other award winning books. For a while I was trying to read all of those. I have a problem with staying up until way too late when I have a book to read, so I had to put it on hold. I love that you're encouraging your kids in such an awesome way. I'll have to look into the free Kindle editions. How can anyone not love free?

    ReplyDelete