Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review- Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold

Have you heard of Knights of Freedom? It is seriously one of the greatest homeschooling co-ops for boys 8-12 years old! I have had the privilege of mentoring a Knights of Freedom group for the last year and a half, I will have to do a separate post about that, it is awesome. 

Any who, as a part of Knights we read about a christian hero. My favorite series that we have read a lot of is, Christian Heroes: Then & Now. All of the books are biographies of real people in history. They are well written and very inspiring.

The last book we read was Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold. This book is my very favorite so far from this series. My 10 year old said that it was his favorite too.


You may know who Eric Liddell is, I didn't. He is the inspiration behind the movie Chariots of Fire. He was a Scottish man born in China where his parents were missionaries. When he was old enough his parents sent him and his brother to a boarding school in England. 

He found he had a talent for running and eventually made the olympic team. He received his schedule for the olympic team and found out that the event he was favored to win was on a Sunday; he refused to compete. I won't completely ruin what happens next, it nearly brought me to tears.

The book then continues into his adult life and how he becomes a missionary like his parents. He always had a love for the Chinese people and went back to China. I won't tell you anymore so I don't ruin the story, but this guy was so inspiring!

I would highly recommend this book to both boys and girls 8+. They are very quick reads about 200-300 pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment