Thursday, October 10, 2013

Big Bad Sugar

I was reading the other day and came across this article. It's an article going over the top 10 reasons to avoid sugar.

There is no getting around it, sugar is crap. One of the things I really liked about this article was that everything was backed up with a scientific study. The most shocking one on the list to me was, "Thanks to the obesity and diabetes epidemics, for the first time in U.S. history, today's children are expected to die at a younger age than their parents."



That is some scary stuff. Another one that is almost as frightening is, "Childhood obesity is now the No. 1 health concern among U.S. parents, topping drug abuse and smoking."

Seriously?? Parents are more afraid of their kids eating a donut instead of taking drugs and smoking? Sugar is some seriously addictive stuff, it isn't a secret. We all know it, and yet some of us still eat it.

6 1/2 years ago I gave up candy and desserts. It wasn't because of health reasons, I wish it were, but no it was to prove my husband wrong that addiction isn't that hard. Yes, I am that stubborn.:) I found very quickly just how wrong I was, it was VERY hard to give it up. I craved candy and cakes for a long time; I couldn't even make them for other people because it was just too hard to be around them. Slowly it got easier, slowly I started reading about health, slowly I changed my family's diet and slowly we became healthier.

Just the other day my husband and I were talking about this and he asked me if I crave any of this stuff anymore. In all honesty sometimes I do, but the cravings get less and less over time. 

So, if you are thinking now is the time to clean up your diet you're in luck because we have another Hippie Mama Food Challenge coming up soon! When you start to eat good, real food you will just start to feel better inside and out. More details about the next food challenge will be coming up soon!!

1 comment: