Saturday, January 5, 2013

Resolutions

It's that time of year again, to make goals you're super excited about and then completely forget about them 1-3 months later. And make sure they're very unrealistic like you want look like a super model, or to win the lottery.

Seriously though, I like to set goals at the beginning of the year. Last year I even completed some of them :) I went over this last year but I find it helpful, so I'm going to do it again. I like to divide my goals into five areas: spiritual, physical, emotional, mental and financial. I then like to set "how" I'm actually going to obtain my goal not just set the goal.

For example, if your goal is to get out of debt this year, don't just leave it at that, add the steps of how you want to do it. Are you going to win the lottery? Make more money? We used steps that we learned from here to get out of debt. My husband also helps people with their money (shameless plug for him here). My goals in this area are usually about making sure I stay within my budget and make sure I'm tracking my spending.

Another one people always set is to lose weight. That's great, but is it about losing weight or actually changing your lifestyle to keep the weight off? Anyone can drop 10 lbs, but do you want to keep it off? It isn't realistic to stay on a 1200 calorie diet for the rest of your life, and it isn't good for you either. I found it better for me to set fitness goals of a new race time, a heavier dead lift instead of a number on the scale, etc. And once again, add the how you want to accomplish the goal.

For mental, I like to put how many books I'll read for the year, if there are any classes I want to take, a hobby I want to develop and things of that nature. I also include stuff I want to be better at with home schooling.

I feel like my emotional and spiritual goals are too personal to share, but I do have them, you're just going to have to trust me :).

The reason I like to set goals in these five areas is because if one of them is out of whack, they all suffer. If you know someone who is out of control with their eating, they are probably out of control with their spending too; on the flip side, when is someone is in control of their eating they are most likely in control with their spending as well, and so on.

So lets all get off your butts and make 2013 a fabulous year!

No comments:

Post a Comment