Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stuffed Zucchini

We had stuffed zucchini for dinner the other night and I thought it was very yummy, so I thought I would share. I got the recipe from here, and then I made some additional tweaks.


Stuffed Zucchini
3-4 large zucchinis-I didn't have large ones so I just used regular size zucchini
2 pounds ground bison or other ground meat-I did ground beef
1 red onion, diced-I planned on using a red onion but accidentally used a yellow onion
1 eggplant, peeled and diced-I did this one
8.5 oz sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, finely chopped-I cut up one roma tomato
1 cup fresh basil, diced-I sprinkled some basil from a jar :)
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely diced-I did the same thing with rosemary, fresh...from a jar
4 garlic cloves, minced-Garlic powder, from a jar
1 tablespoon dried oregano,-Once again, from a jar
A splash of balsamic vinegar-Did this one too, I love balsamic!
Sea salt and black pepper to taste-I didn't do pepper, I'm a wimp
Preheat your oven to 375. Cut a thin slice of the top of the zucchinis and scoop out the inside of the squash leaving the shell.  Drizzle the insides of the squash with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.  While the squash shells are in the oven, start browning your ground meat, when the meat is almost brown, add the onions, eggplant, and diced excess zucchini, and cook until the eggplant is soft.  Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5-10 minutes.  Pull the shells out of the oven and stuff them all as full as possible with the meat mixture.  Put the stuffed zucchinis back into the oven and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
Because I am lazy, and I knew the little darlings wouldn't eat their zucchini boats I didn't want to waste my time making them one. So, after I finished stuffing my husband's and my zucchini I just put the rest of the meat (still with all the veggies in it) in a baking dish for them. They ate it right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment