Monday, July 14, 2014

AIP Strawberry Jam

First and foremost, what in the world is AIP? Well, it stands for auto immune protocol. It is eating Paleo only significantly harder. You eat this way to help with auto immune diseases.

My beautiful friend Tiffany recently found out she had rheumatoid arthritis. This is my favorite part of the story, she didn't want to go on all the medicine prescribed to her to take away the pain, so she took matters into her own hand and did the AIP and the pain was GONE!! She is an inspiration! Our bodies are amazing and if we give it right tools; it wants to heal itself!

Tiffany has made some recipes that are AIP approved. I will be posting them for others that may need to eat this way too!


Let’s drop the shenanigans, and get right to the point: AIP is H-A-R-D! I developed this recipe with my husband, after months of missing my favorite freezer jam, that had loads of processed sugar in it. Like, equal parts sugar and fruit. I could feel my pancreas shrivel up, just looking at that stuff! Also, my kids staged a mutiny after I tried this chia seed recipe I saw on Pinterest.
But, this new recipe? Oh. Let me just accept your thanks in advance. It tastes like the old version, is wayyyyyyyy lower in sugar, freezes and defrosts beautifully, and is #processedsugarfree, #pectinfree, #chiafree, #aipcompliant, #glorious. My kids adore it. (Does anybody like that chia crap? I mean, don’t get me wrong: I just lovvvvve mystery lumps in my food. Sometimes I stir soggy chia into my bone broth, just for the joyous sensation of choking down slimy grubs.) ….But if gelatinous bug eyeballs are not your thing: have I got a recipe is for you! Be sure to check out my notes at the bottom of this recipe, for tips, tricks, and faq’s.
And, now, for the good part.
Strawberry Freezer Jam
Yield: 3 ½ quarts
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Set time: 24 hours

You will need:
9 cups strawberry puree (about 6 lbs berries)
1 1/4 cups maple syrup
5 ¼ tablespoons gelatine powder (Knotts gelatine works just fine!)
Plastic, airtight containers large enough to hold your yield of jam.
Large pot
Set out jam containers. Be sure they are very clean, with air-tight lids. Puree berries, and pour into a large pot on your stovetop. Gently stir in syrup. Bring puree and syrup mixture to gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Bloom 5 1/4 tablespoons gelatin powder in 1 cup water. Whisk the bloomed gelatin into the puree until thoroughly smooth. Pour into containers, and refrigerate until set. About 24 hours later, you should have some fairly gorgeous and guilt-free jam to eat with your tea and strumpets. Happy eating!

Notes on recipe:
-No glass containers! They are known to shatter in the freezer, when the jam expands while freezing.
-Bloom: This means gently stir it into the water. Don’t over-stir it, just enough to get it wet.
-If you like a lumpier jam, this recipe will still work for you. I recommend rough-chopping about ⅓ of your fruit, and adding it the the puree in the pot, to boil.
-I’m certain this would work with any fruit, though I haven’t tried any others (I’m partial to berries). Just make sure you peel your fruit, and you have the right amount of puree to gelatine.
-Any sweetener would be super yum! Honey, date paste, whatevs.
-We eat this on these coconut flour biscuits which are otherwise aip if you can have eggs, and one of my fave aip compliant desserts: shortbread cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Lol - eat with your tea and 'strumpets' might be one of the funniest malapropisms I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete