Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Is Home School the Only Way???

Last week my husband posted a picture on Facebook and it sparked quite the controversy! I really, really don't like controversy so I didn't join in the debate, but it has been really bothering me so I would like to express how I feel about the picture he posted. Here is the infamous photo he shared.


I'm not really going to get into the argument he was in, but I would like to share some of my opinions about this. 

First and most importantly, home schooling works for my family, but it may not be the right fit for your family. I think it is so fabulous that there are so many options with schooling, because no one is the same and no family is the same. You may pick home schooling, public school, charter school, part time home school, part time public school, online school, or whatever works for your family. We have NEVER judged anyone for their families choice of school, and we have NEVER criticized parents for their choice either. To each their own.

This was NEVER intended to offend anyone. If I post an article about natural medicine, someone who doesn't like natural medicine might be offended, if I post a religious picture, somebody who is of a different faith might be offended. This was not meant to offend, only you can allow yourself to be offended, no one can make you offended.

By saying we disagree with some of the ways public schools operate is NOT the same as saying we think parents are hurting their children or that they are bad parents or people. And if you disagree with me about home schooling, I don't think I am a bad parent; it's ok to disagree and to have a difference of opinion. It would be boring if we were all the same! 

Another argument against this picture was that it is making a blanket statement against all schools. Again, we are not against public school, it is great that it works so well for so many people. 

Public school did not work for me, I march to the beat of my own drum, I am different and I love it! I am not a conformist and when others try (good luck) to make me conform we are both frustrated. I never fostered a passion for learning in school, I knew how to pass a class (barely) and that is about it. 

So if you disagree with this photo, great! I love that you are passionate about your school, we need more people passionate about their school and help them to move in the right direction. 

This photo was merely posted to make others think, that is all; there was no evil motive or any attempt to say that others are wrong and that we are right. 

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" Aristotle

2 comments:

  1. For the record, I like the photo and I shared it on my wall sometime ago. Or one similar. Anyways, if you are different than the norm, then you will cause offence no matter what. If your hair is 2 colors, you will offend someone. If you wear more than one pair of earrings, you will offend someone. If you say PS is the only way, you will offend someone. If you only wear a skirt, you will offend someone. Only read the KJV, etc... someone will always take offense. Let it roll off your sleeve and go about your family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate controversy too. It makes me all nervous, but I'm also willing to defend something I believe in fiercely! It makes it hard when you want to share your beliefs but there is always someone that will end up offended regardless!

    ReplyDelete