Monday, August 12, 2013

Guacamole and Almond Flour Chips

When my husband and I first got married I wasn't too keen on trying any new food. He would even bribe me to try a bite of something that I had never heard of. One of the things he had me try was avocados. How sad that I had never had an avocado before? Needless to say avocados and I fell instantly in love, it was a beautiful thing.

Not only do these lovelies taste delicious but they are also very good for you. They contain close to 20 essential nutrients such as: fiber, potassium (more than twice the amount found in a banana), vitamin E, B-vitamins, folic acid and so on. They are also an excellent source of good fats.

My favorite way to eat avocados are in guacamole; and what better way to eat guacamole then with chips? But after taking processed chips out of my diet it left me no choice but to come up with my own. 

Almond Flour Chips

2 cups of almond flour
2 eggs
1-2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
salt 

In a bowl mix all ingredients, if it is too dry add more olive oil. After all your ingredients are mixed together press the mixture on a flat surface until you have your desired thickness for your chips. Then cut the dough into any chip shape you want. Heat a pan of medium high with enough olive oil in the bottom to fry your chips. Fry your chips 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Place on cooling rack and salt both sides.

Guacamole

2 ripe avocado
1 tsp lime juice
1/2-1 tsp garlic
1/2-1 tsp onion powder
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mash avocado into bowl until you get a smooth consistency. Mix the rest of the ingredients in. Chill until you are ready to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment