Monday, July 1, 2013

Molluscum Contagiosum

What in the world is molluscum contagiosum? Until about 6 months ago I had no idea; but then my son's armpit started looking like this: 

It's lovely, I hope you weren't eating anything, sorry if you were. 

Apparently it's quite common and quite ugly. It is a virus spread by skin to skin contact or by sharing towels or clothing. They are contagious, but thankfully none of my other kids got them. I don't know if you can see it very well but the molluscum is a little bump, and inside the bump is a little seed. 

Because it is a virus you can't really take anything to get rid of it. But, because they are so ugly I did want to get rid of them. They will clear up on their own within 6-12 months, but I wanted them gone before summer time. Online I found some treatments involving apple cider vinegar; they didn't work. My friend was using cypress oil to help her son with bed wetting and the oil got on her son's molluscum; and within one month all 13 of his were gone.

So I figured, what the heck, I already have cypress so why not try it? I did the cypress for a few days and wasn't noticing any changes so I added clove and melaleuca into the mixture I was putting it on him and it worked! The oils started to pull the seeds right out. When the seeds started to come out you could actually pop them just like a zit. They will bleed, and my six year old didn't like it at all. I always had to bribe him to let me pop any. 

Here he is after one month of the oils. The poor kid is still super skinny, but a lot less bumps.

The ones that I just left alone eventually came out on their own after a couple of months. Now, had I put the oils on him everyday I think they would of gone away much faster, but I'm forgetful. 

4 comments:

  1. What is your cypress oil, clove and melaleuca recipe, pls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a few drops of fractionated coconut oil in my hand first, because he has sensitive skin. I then put 2-3 drops per oil into the coconut oil and rubbed it all over the affected area. I would recommend doing it 2-3 times a day to help it go away as quickly as possible. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I think my son has that. can you tell me if his skin was like sand paper? splotchy in some areas?

    Thanks Hippie Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son's skin was so dry and red. I put coconut oil all over him to help with the dryness. I hope he feels better soon, good luck!

      Delete