Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste

Just when you thought I couldn't get any "hippier" I go and prove you wrong. I have been creating LOTS of homemade products lately. I have been trying them out for a couple of months to make sure I like them before I start sharing any of them. 

So, today is your lucky day; not only do you get a recipe for homemade toothpaste but I made a Youtube video about it too! Sometimes it's easier to see how to do something if you can watch it being done. 



Here is the recipe:
3 Tablespoons baking soda
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
30 drops of Peppermint essential oil
5 drops of OnGuard essential oil
5 drops of Wintergreen essential oil (optional, I don't recommend putting this in if children are going to be using the toothpaste)

1-Get a small container with a lid  

2-Put in your baking soda and coconut oil 

3- Mash with a fork until you get a nice gooey texture 

4-Put in your essential oils and mix it all in and cover it with a lid

Wintergreen is a GREAT oil for whitening your teeth; however, it is one of the few oils from doTERRA that isn't to be ingested. I put it in my toothpaste, but not my kids. 

Here is my warning, this is going to taste different than what you're used to. There isn't any sweetener in it. After using it for a couple of months I don't think it tastes bad, but I am used to it now. I can't stand to use anything else because it makes my teeth feel so squeaky clean.




So why not just use commercial toothpaste? Are you ready for me to get on my soapbox? If not, you can quit reading now; or if you are, here goes. Commercial toothpaste is loaded with dangerous and toxic chemicals such as sodium fluoride, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate and hydrated sillica. All of these common ingredients have been found to be harmful to humans. Sodium fluoride is one of the main ingredients in rat poison AND toothpaste. 

Now, with all that being said; I have obviously been using commercial toothpaste for 30 something years and I'm not dead. My point is the more natural stuff you can use the better your overall health will be. 

I'll get off my soapbox now.


2 comments: