Friday, March 26, 2010

Asthma

This sweet little guy is one of the BIG reasons I have gotten into natural healing. Ethan has had respiratory problems since he was a little boy. He had pneumonia at age one, he was treated for bronchitis several times, and kept having "wheezing" attacks that I now know were asthma attacks. No one was putting two and two together and realizing that this kid had asthma, I had one Dr. tell me we should get rid of all our pets without ever testing to see if he was allergic to them. Honestly I would have LOVED to get rid of the dogs but not the cat. So we kept going on with this lifestyle of Ethan having an asthma attack, going to the ER getting steroids shots. We eventually got our own nebulizer and enough medicine that we could take care of the asthma itself.

Finally I had a Dr. who asked how often is he coming in for these attacks and realized Ethan had asthma. He put him on an inhaler that he would be on for the rest of his life and told me it had NO side effects. He kept reassuring me really it has NO side effects!! I went home with an uneasy feeling and started him on the regimen I was prescribed to do. After the knot in my stomach wouldn't go away I decided to read the information packet that comes with the medicine, you know the one you probably never look at and just throw away. The one he told me over and over again that had NO side effects was a fairly safe inhaler however, it had one large side effect: when used with steroids it can cause DEATH!! Oh so the steroids you prescribed me and the inhaler can kill my son? Needless to say that was the last time my boy has ever used prescription medicine for his asthma.

Asthma is a very serious condition so please be very careful. With that said, this is what we do for Ethan and it has worked well for him. I have several oils that I like to use for his asthma, if you are working with a simpler respiratory problem you can just use Breathe* on your feet, chest, back, or with an adult I've even put it on their face. For children Breathe can feel warm so please dilute it with coconut oil or any cooking oil like olive or vegetable. I don't have the time to put several different oils on my son all day long and it would be very inconvenient when going anywhere so I put his in a spray bottle I purchased from the health food store.
The oils I put in his spray are: Breathe, Frankincense*, Lavender*, OnGuard*, and Marjoram*. I know others that just use Breathe and OnGuard and it works for them, so experiment to see what works for you. I put about 20-30 drops of each oil then fill the rest of the bottle with coconut oil. For maintenance we spray his chest with two sprays morning and night if I can hear him start to wheeze I will start spraying him every 15-30 minutes until I can't hear the wheeze again. I will also run the diffuser all day if I hear a wheeze and run it every night for maintenance. I put Breathe, OnGuard, and Lavender into the diffuser.

This might sound a little complicated or like a lot of work but it's not. The spray bottle lasts almost a month and he sprays himself as needed. I just drop some oils into the diffuser when I tuck him in at night and flip it on.

There are TWO really great things about all this, first no side effects of death and no side effects at all. The steroids can make children VERY hyper. Second, I can buy as much oils as I want and store them, so in case of an emergency I don't have to sit back and watch my son suffocate I will be able to help him, this was a very large concern for me.
On a side note other things we do for him: get him adjusted regularly and limit dairy. We don't use cows milk but we do buy cheese and just use it sparingly.
*Breathe-is a blend of 6 oils open and soothe the tissues of the respiratory system and also for their abilities to combat airborne bacteria and viruses that could be harmful to the system.
*Frankincense-is an analgesic (pain killer), anti fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and much more.
*Lavender-is an analgesic, anticoagulant, anticonvulsant, antihistamine, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory and many more.
*OnGuard-kills germs and pathogens. Apply topically to boost immune support. Diffuse in a room to provide immune support and to rid the area of bacteria, viruses, mold and fungi.
*Marjoram-is antibacterial, anti-infectious, antiseptic, antispasmodic and many more

No comments:

Post a Comment