Monday, July 22, 2013

Math Curriculum

Alright, another post about what curriculum I will be using this fall. When I started homeschooling I was SO very lost on curriculum. I didn't realize there are literally hundreds of different curriculum options for each subject. When I started I didn't research a thing and just bought whatever curriculum my neighbor was using. I wouldn't recommend that route as I ended up with some expensive, crappy curriculum. Luckily, the math she suggested we have liked and have stayed with the same program for five years.

So, are you dying to know what math I use? 

We use Math-U-See and have really liked it. It comes with a teacher book and an instructional DVD that teaches each lesson. Most of the time my kids can watch the DVD on their own and can just start their math for that lesson. 

Another thing I REALLY like about them is they have a place on their site you can print off practice worksheets just in case your child might need a little bit more practice in an area. This is my favorite part, because I want my kids to actually master each area.

And the last thing I like about them is their manipulatives. They are great for hands-on learners and visual learners. 


Now with all that being said, it isn't easy, it's a challenging math program. Because of that I like to supplement my kids with games so they think math is fun. One of my favorite supplement books is Life Of Fred. Fred is a five year old professor at Kittens University. You read a chapter and then you have some math questions at the end of each chapter. We do this as a group and we find it fun. 

Another supplement I like are math games from here. These are fun games that are like a board game. I play these games one on one with my monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment